Benefits of Self-Hosting
- You can create a yourbusinessnamehere.com URL, which easily beats a hostname.yourname.com URL.
- You completely control what happens on your site.
- You can set up your site any way you want to, and this also includes the ads that you choose to place on your site.
- Learning HTML or CSS or both
- Re-learning or brushing up on your coding skills
- Finding a way to make transactions work - PayPal is the popular option, but PayPal does come with plenty of issues.
- In order to gain advertising revenue, you have to figure out how to set up ads on your site. This can be tough if you're trying to gain access to a a setup like Ad Exchange or AdSense. But, ad revenue is the one thing that will put icing on the revenue cake once you start getting lots of site traffic.
- Self-hosting can be a mess when it comes to fixing problems and issues. You will have some software company support, but that might not be enough when it comes time to really work out the kinks.